Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Search Me


Search Me




Search me O' God and know my heart


Try me and know my thoughts


And see if there be any wicked way in me


And lead me in the way, lead me in the way


Lead me in the way everlasting


You have known me, you have known me


My downsittings, my uprisings


You understand my thoughts from afar


You know all my ways, you know all my ways.




While attending Pensacola Christian College, I learned and fell in love with this song. During prayer group and during hall meeting all the girls in my dorm would sing this song. Each time it was sung it really challenged me.




In this song it talks about the Lord knowing us. He knows our downsittings and our uprisings. Also, he understands all of our thoughts, and he knows all our ways. I do not know about you, but that really makes me feel ashamed. To know that someone knows all about me. We can not hide anything from God. He sees everything that we do, He hears everything that we say, and He even knows everything that we think. It makes me ashamed, and it also makes me want to watch myself more closely. We may be able to hide things from our friends and our families, but we cannot hide things from the all seeing eye of the Lord. The thing that amazes me is that even though the Lord knows all about us He still loves us. I fail Him each and everyday, but yet He still loves me the same as He did yesterday, last year, and 20 years ago.


I also love this song, because to me this is a song of prayer to the Lord. I want so much to do what the Lord wants me to do. When singing this song I sing it as a prayer to the Lord to search me, and see if there is anything in my life that I need to turn away from or place into my life.


This song was actually taken out of Psalms 139. Another thing that is mentioned in this chapter that is not in the song is that the Lord's thought's of each of His children are precious. I just love that. The Lord's thoughts of me are precious. As my pastor says, " That is enough to make one want to run around the church praising the Lord ( something like that)." Thank you Lord for having precious thoughts about me.


"Search me, O God, and know my heart, try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."

- Psalms 139: 23-24


" O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me. Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought from afar off. Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways."

-Psalms 139:1-2



"How precious also are thy thoughts unto me. O God! how great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee."

-Psalms 139: 17-18




2 comments: